Foreign Language Requirement

Please Note: This is Required for Chemistry and Chemical Biology Majors Only.

Guidelines for Foreign Language Requirement Courses

  • A letter grade of C- or better is required.
  • Self-paced courses may be used to fulfill Foreign Language, provided they are equal in unit value to the non-self-paced classes approved for the requirement.
  • In general, courses fulfilling the Foreign Language requirement may not be applied to other college breadth requirements. (However, under certain circumstances, advanced level foreign language courses may satisfy the International Studies breadth requirement.)
  • Variable unit foreign language courses must be taken for the maximum unit value to satisfy the requirement.
  • If you have taken an advanced foreign language course and have not received Foreign Language requirement credit on your Degree Audit Report, please check with a College Adviser.
  • Foreign Service Institute (FSI) or Defense Language Institute (DLI) exam—score of 1-5.

Satisfying the Foreign Language Requirement with High School Work

  • Letter grade of C- or better at the end of the third year of a high school foreign language.
  • SAT II: Subject Test, Foreign Language
    • Test date before May 1995: 550
    • Test date May 1995 or later: 590
  • Advanced Placement Exam in a foreign language—score of 3, 4, or 5.
  • International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examination in a Second Language (other than English) A2, B or Standard Level credential examination—score of 5, 6 or 7.
  • A-level or GCSE/O-level Foreign Language Exam—grade of A, B, or C.
  • Foreign Service Institute (FSI) or Defense Language Institute (DLI) exam score of 1-5

Satisfying the Foreign Language Requirement at Berkeley

  • Successful completion with a C- grade or better of any second-semester foreign language course.
  • Successful grade on a departmental language proficiency exam (check individual department; tests are not available in all language departments).

Satisfying the Foreign Language Requirement with Transfer Work

  • Transfer courses must be taken on a letter-graded basis and be completed with a grade of C- or better. At schools where an equivalent articulated course is offered only on a Passed/Not Passed basis, a Passed grade will be accepted in fulfillment of the requirement.
  • For courses from California community colleges, review ASSIST. Note: IGETC certification from a California community college or a letter of reciprocity from a UC campus satisfies the Foreign Language requirement (and all other L&S breadth requirements).
  • Proficiency exam from a UC campus (proficiency exams from non-UC schools are not accepted).
Back to Top