Entry Level Writing Requirement

All students who will enter the University of California as freshmen must demonstrate their command of the English language by satisfying the Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR).

Students may satisfy that requirement by passing the Analytical Writing Placement Examination (AWPE). (Passing the AWPE is only one method of satisfying the ELWR.)

High school students planning to attend a UC campus may take the Analytical Writing Placement Examination in May of their senior year. (Students selected for the May exam are sent the test notification letter in April.)

Admitted students who have not yet satisfied the requirement may take the exam their first semester at Berkeley.

The UC Entry Level Writing Requirement website provides information on how to satisfy the requirement. In addition, it provides the examination scoring guide, sample past examinations, and sample student essays.

The requirement may also be met by earning a grade of C or higher in an acceptable composition course offered at Berkeley.

COLWRIT R1AAccelerated Reading and Composition
Back to Top