The JMP is a five-year graduate/medical degree program. The pre-clerkship years are spent at UC Berkeley, engaging in a leading-edge integrated Problem-Based Learning medical curriculum while simultaneously earning a master’s degree (MS) in the Health and Medical Sciences at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health. After two and a half years, our students move across the bay to UCSF to finish their medical education and receive their medical doctorate (MD).
There is no undergraduate program in Health and Medical Sciences. However, Pre-Med/Pre-Health is a pre-professional path that students choose when preparing for a career in graduate-level health professions.
Health and Medical Sciences: UC Berkeley–UCSF Joint Medical Program (JMP).
Faculty and Instructors
* Indicates this faculty member is the recipient of the Distinguished Teaching Award.
Amin Azzam, Clinical Professor. Medical education scholarship.
Katherine Brooks MD, Assistant Professor, Medicine. Clinical Skills Faculty.
Odinakachukwu (Odi) Ehie MD, Associate Clinical Professor. Anesthesia Head, Clinical Skills.
Monica Hahn, Associate Clinical Professor. Family & Community Medicine. Family physician, HIV specialist, and Clinical Director/Co-Principal Investigator of the Pacific AIDS Education and Training Center (PAETC). JMP PRIME-US faculty.
Jodi Halpern, Professor. Public health, bioethics, patient autonomy.
Seth Holmes, Professor. Medical anthropology, transnational im/migration, race and racism, gender and queer studies.
* Susan Ivey, Associate Adjunct Professor. Public health, health disparities, interventions, community-based participatory research.
Claudia Landau, Associate Clinical Professor. Neuroendocrinology of Stress, Cognitive Assessment in Diverse Cultures, Community Bases, Fall prevention.
Leanna W. Lewis, LCSW, Associate Director, UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program Administrative Program Director, UCSF Program in Medical Education for the Urban Underserved (PRIME-US) at the JMP.
Jyothi Marbin MD, HS Clinical Professor, Pediatrics Director, UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program.
Osagie Obasogie, Professor. Law, bioethics, reproductive and genetic technologies.
Gaspar Rivera, MD, Assistant Clinical Professor, Pediatrics. Clinical Skills Faculty.
Ashkon Shaahinfar, MD, Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine. Clinical Skills Faculty.
* Karen Sokal-Gutierrez, Clinical Professor. Nutrition, maternal-child health, early childhood health, oral health, child health in developing countries.
* Gustavo Valbuena, Associate Clinical Professor, Head, Foundational Sciences Head, Master's of Health and Medical Sciences. Conceptualization and operationalization of inquiry in medical education, the relationship between inquiry and the process of integration between basic sciences and clinical sciences, integration-supportive instructional design.
* Jennifer Breckler, Lecturer. Research on student learning styles and career choice Projects include creating new hands-on kinesthetic ways for students to engage in and learn about science.
Shelene Stine, Head of Assessment and Clinical Partnerships/Clinical Skills and Foundational Medical Sciences Faculty.
Daniel Woolridge, MD, MS, MPH, Lecturer, Pediatrics.
Hana Dan-Cohen, Lecturer. Integration of the basic sciences with a clinical curriculum in medical education.
Sara Hartley, Lecturer. The interpersonal domain of doctor-patient interaction, The interview, Mind/brain models.
Guy Micco, Clinical Professor, Emeritus, Co-director, UC Berkeley Program for Health and Medical Sciences. Aging/old age, suffering, and death, the medical humanities.
* Kent Olson, Clinical Professor Emeritus. Diagnosis and management of acute poisoning, Cost-effectiveness of poison control centers, Case development in the JMP case-based curriculum, General Emergency Medicine, Medical Toxicology.
Richard Quint, Clinical Professor Emeritus.
* Ann Stevens, Clinical Professor Emerita. Women's health issues, Medical education, Physician/patient relationshi.
* John Swartzberg, Clinical Professor Emeritus. Social epidemiology, community interventions.
UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program
570 University Hall
Director, UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program
Jyothi Marbin, MD
Assoc Director of UCB-UCSF Joint Medical Program & Head of Admissions
Leanna Lewis, LCSW
Head, JMP Master's Program
Gustavo Valbuena, MD, MS
Graduate Student Affairs Officer